CERTIFICATE IN TEACHING ENGLISH TO ADULTS
This is a specialized course for English tutors or teachers who are keen to get certified to teach adults English. The skills set learned and the videos would allow students to also learn how to present their teaching content and ideas for online teaching. This presents a great opportunity for tutors who want to embark on one-to-one tutoring of adults online. The course content covers all the basic skills that is customized towards adults’ teaching.
UNIT 1 Learners & Teachers and the Teaching and Learning Context
1. Language and culture
2. Language and learning
3. Learning Styles
UNIT 2 Language Teaching Methods and Approaches
1. Methods of presentation
2. Instruction methods
3. Discovery methods
UNIT 3 Language Skills Listening Skill
2. Listening process
3. Listening – Affect and attitudes
4. Listening activities based on levels of listening
5. Monitoring ESL learners’
listening Reading Skill
2. Foundational reading skills and convention
3. Relationship between oracy and literacy
4. Authentic or adapted real-life texts
5. Selecting texts appropriate for use with specific group of learners
6. Giving feedback and corrections
2. Approaches to writing instructions
3. Writing for assimilation
4. Writing for self-expression and meaning making
5. Writing for affirmation
6. Writing for access to powerful discourses
7. Writing for social change
8. Implications for ESL instructions
9. Effective writing instructions
2. Oral communication skills in adult ESL instructions What speaking is? What a good speaker does?
3. General outline of a speaking lesson
4. In class speaking task
5. 5. Assessing speaking
The Certificate in Teaching English To Adults is assessed via a combination of teaching practice and written assignments.
In order for you to gain entry into the Certificate Teaching English To Adults, all applicants should meet the following entry requirement:
- High School Year 12 English or equivalent
- Be competent in Spoken and Written English
- Preferably, students should have a TESOL equivalent qualification.
- Relevant teaching experience would be considered.
- If you do not fall within any of the above categories and think you are qualified for the course, please submit all your qualifications and a letter explaining why you should be considered. Your application will then be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a Certificate in Teaching English To Adults from The TESOL Training Centre.
Online course fee - CAD300.00